Today's Top Words:
newcastle pthe united premier transfer season more would p summer move you takeover club goals
Ashley reportedly sets deadline for Mauriss: NUFC evening update

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to NUFC Live

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has reportedly set Henry Mauriss a deadline for a takeover deal to be agreed.

Elsewhere, we understand that the prospective buyers offered assurances from the "highest possible level" to the Premier League in their failed bid.

Here are your top Newcastle United stories for August 2:

Ashley's deadline for Mauriss

The Mirror report Mike Ashley has slapped a deadline date for US businessman Henry Mauriss to agree a takeover deal for Newcastle United.

Mauriss is said to be interested in completing a takeover and the door is now open following the collapse of the Saudi-backed takeover deal earlier this month.

Mike Ashley will give Henry Mauriss until August 14 to reach an agreement for his proposed takeover of Newcastle.

On Thursday, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund withdrew the £300million offer they and the Reuben Brothers had tabled for the Toon.

Financier Amanda Staveley, who was leading their joint-bid, blamed the Premier League for dragging its heals.

LONDON, ENGLAND - JUNE 07: Sports Direct International founder Mike Ashley leaves the Red Lion pub in Westminster to attend a Parliamentary select committee hearing at Portcullis house on June 7, 2016 in London, England.

Although sources close to the deal claim the Saudis knew as long as a month ago that their offer would not be rubber-stamped because of the piracy argument in which beoutQ had become embroiled with Qatari-based beIN Sports, who own top-flight rights in the Middle East.

Confirmation of their withdrawal came two days ago from a tearful Staveley and, while Ashley says he is still hopeful of resurrecting a deal with the Saudis, the door is now open for Mauriss.

PL offered assurances

The Premier League were offered assurances from the 'highest possible level' by the consortium attempting to buy Newcastle United.

The Premier League's owners' and directors' test had been going on for four months and the consortium did not believe a resolution was on the horizon.

Amanda Staveley and Richard Masters

One of the issues that the governing body had been grappling with was the PIF's relationship with the state.

ChronicleLive understands the buyers offered assurances from the 'highest possible level' to try and establish that it was the PIF, rather than the government, who would be the ultimate beneficial owner.

Read More Related Articles Petition gains momentum

A petition calling for an independent investigation into the Newcastle United takeover process has racked up more than 45,000 signatures in a matter of days.

The change.org petition titled 'An indepdendent investigation into the EPL takeover process' was launched following the withdrawal of the offer from the Saudi-led consortium.

The decision following a protracted four-month saga has prompted fury at the Premier League from sections of United supporters on social media.

Read More Related Articles Pundit slams PL

The Premier League "didn't want to make a decision" and forced the prospective buyers of Newcastle United to withdraw.

That's the view of pundit and former Sunderland striker Darren Bent, who has criticised the Premier League for their inaction over the proposed deal.

Richard Masters speaking during a cocktail reception to celebrate the Premier League Asia Trophy last summer

The Premier League have declined to comment on the latest developments, despite widespread criticism from fans and pundits alike.

Bent has now weighed into the debate, arguing the league should have been more clinical in their approach and made a decision.

Instead, the 36-year-old believes their inaction forced the hand of the prospective buyers.

Read More Related Articles Gayle interest?

Newcastle want to bring in another striker this close season but their resolve to keep hold of Dwight Gayle is set to be tested.

The Magpies have Callum Wilson on their wishlist and he would represent a real upgrade for Steve Bruce's squad.

Newcastle's Dwight Gayle of Newcastle scores the opening goal during the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Liverpool FC at St. James Park on July 26, 2020

But with budget uncertainty and the market being so volatile in the COVID age, it's not anticipated a quick move for the Cherries man would be made. The transfer deadline is not until October this year.

Read More Related Articles Cacapa interview

With just 18 minutes on the clock, the fourth official’s board went up. With Newcastle United 3-1 down to Portsmouth, Sam Allardyce had had enough and Claudio Cacapa paid the price.

The Brazilan trudged off to be replaced by David Rozehnal.

The centre-back had been at fault for two of Pompey’s opening goals - being outpaced and outmuscled by Benjani and then John Utaka just moments later.

The defender looked slow, sluggish and out of his depth.

Claudio Cacapa of Newcastle United in action (Image: 2007 Getty Images)

The excuses from that day have changed. Back then, November 2007, Allardyce noted the performance from Cacapa as ‘an off-day’ while the defender spoke of his foolish desire to play while nursing a hamstring injury.

Thirteen years on Allardyce now recalls it as ‘nightmare’ and Cacapa says injury didn’t play a part.

Read More Related Articles Transfer gossip

Newcastle United's projected takeover may be off but that hasn't stopped the transfer rumour mill from going round.

The Magpies' managing director Lee Charnley insisted the Magpies will support Steve Bruce in the summer transfer market after PCP Capital Partners, the Reuben brothers and the Saudi Public Investment Fund pulled out of the takeover of the club.

Chris Basham, Callum Wilson and Rogerio

As such, Bruce is keen to bring in a new forward to the club and the Magpies have been linked with an England international forward.

They are also keen to add a left-back to their ranks and they have been linked with a Sassuolo defender this morning.

Read More Related Articles

Meanwhile, a reported transfer target has committed his future to his current club.

Here's a round-up of the latest Newcastle United transfer gossip.




For more news relating to Liverpool, visit our sister site LFC Live.
Click to visit chronicle | Click to return to NUFC Live
Share NUFC Live



Dont Buy The Sun



rss icon



Arsenal News - Chelsea News - Everton News - Liverpool FC News - Man City News - Manchester United News - Newcastle News - Spurs News - West Ham News - Celtic News - Rangers News - BeIN Sports Schedule - Internet Commentator Database - Shortwave Radio Schedules - < - Contact

©2018 NUFC Live.

Valid XHTML 1.0 StrictDont Buy The Sun [Valid RSS]